Legacy of Compassionate Care
A tale of two beginnings. In 1882, a two-story boarding house in Pueblo was converted into St. Mary's Hospital by the Sisters of Charity in 1882 while at the same time Colorado Fuel & Iron Company established a hospital for its employees and their families under the medical leadership of Dr. Richard Corwin. The company transferred ownership of Corwin Hospital to the sisters in the late 1940s creating St. Mary-Corwin Medical Center. Today, the hospital continues its legacy of compassionate, outstanding care with an accredited and nationally recognized cancer center, designated Breast Center of Excellence, state-of-the-art robot-assisted surgical technology, a dedicated Joint Replacement Center and more. St. Mary-Corwin is accredited by The Joint Commission with the Gold Seal of Approval for health care quality and safety.
By the Numbers:
- 1,330 associates
- 342 affiliated physicians
- 408 licensed beds
- 6,860 annual admissions*
- 39,494 annual emergency room visits*
- $62 million in charity care provided annually*
* For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012.
- Accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer, the Dorcy Cancer Center features comprehensive, award-winning cancer care, including: radiation and medical oncology treatments, surgery, ambulatory infusion center, navigation, counseling, support groups, wellness classes, genetic counseling, lymphadema therapy and clinical trials.
- Radiation therapy utilizes new Varian Trubeam linear accelerator with Novalis Radiosurgery technology to revolutionize care for patients with cancers of the brain, spine, lung, liver, and prostate. We are the first program in Colorado to receive dual accreditation by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO).
- The only National Accreditation Program for Breast Center accredited Breast Center of Excellence south of Colorado Springs with an ACR-accredited Breast Imaging Center of Excellence and specialized patient navigators.
- First hospital in Pueblo to introduce the da Vinci® robotic-assisted surgical system offering advanced minimally invasive surgery options.
- Comprehensive inpatient and outpatient surgical services, utilizing state-of-the-art procedures and technology in a wide array of specialties with upgraded surgical suites, surgical concierge nurses, personalized service, complimentary massage therapy and spacious private rooms.
- A dedicated Joint Replacement Center total hip and knee replacement program includes pre-op classes and education, and specially trained orthopedic surgeons, surgical staff and nurses, therapists and technicians.
- The official sports medicine provider for high school and university athletes, featuring concussion prevention and management, orthopedic surgeons with special sports medicine training, and sports coverage.
- ACR accredited PET/CT, MRI, Ultrasound, X-ray, nuclear medicine, digital mammography and DEXAscan. A new large bore CT will be available mid-2013. Interventional radiologists specialize in minimally invasive, targeted treatments with world class diagnostic and clinical experience.
- The Birth Place features a spa-like environment complete with private room, relaxing birthing suites with Jacuzzi tubs, special Cesarean birth suites, certified Level IIb nursery, neonatal nurse practitioners, a maternal fetal medicine program with a high risk OB clinic and educational classes.
- Pediatrics services dedicated to 24-hour expert care including medical, surgical, orthopedic and chronic conditions. A fast track in the emergency room provides specialized care for children in emergent situations.
- The Sleep Disorders Center meets the guidelines set forth by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM)and provides diagnosis and treatment for adult and pediatric patients.
- The Diabetes Health Center brings together educators, nurses, dietitians and patients to create tailored treatment plans through American Diabetes Association award-winning education and counseling programs.
Awards & Honors
- St. Mary-Corwin’s Advanced Primary Stroke Center received the only American Heart/ Stroke Association’s Gold Quality Achievement Award in southern Colorado.
- The Cancer Assessment Resource Education Survivorship (C.A.R.E.S.) program for patients with head and neck cancers received an Innovator Award from the Association of Community Cancer Centers.
- St. Mary-Corwin received the Corporate Partner of the Year award from the Latino Chamber of Commerce and was inducted into the Pueblo Community College Hallof Fame for outstanding support.
- Received the prestigious American Diabetes Association Education Recognition Certificate for diabetes education and wound care.
Patient & Community Resources
- Our 365 online nursery allows family and friends to see photos of your newborn.
- Create a patient web page online using the free, private services of Care Pages and CaringBridge.
- Southern Colorado Family Medicine residency Clinic serves the medically underserved in southern Colorado.
- St. Mary-Corwin offers discharge follow-up programs for new mothers and other patients offering resources and information.
- St. Mary-Corwin Health Foundation supports the important work of the hospital. To give a gift, contact Jayne Mazur at 719-557-5298.
- Free guest wireless Internet service for patients and visitors.
- Pre-register for your procedure online.
- Health Library allows you to search the illustrated encyclopedia of health by topic from A-Z.